Re: Voynich MS codex binding

Hi Seth,

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever done a thorough archaeology of the
binding of the Voynich manuscript.  I have seen quite a bit of descriptive
bibliography regarding foliation, quire markings, and so forth, but I'm more
interested in knowing about the sewing structure, sewing supports (if any),
type of thread used, markings left in the vellum to indicate sewing
stations, and other subtle clues.

From what I've read, I don't recall any such study being reported in the literature.

If the VMS is to yield any secrets, I believe that it will come as a result of both contextual and informational studies: and the more physical dimensions that can be explored - handwriting, colour
analysis, paint localisation, binding/sewing analysis, etc - and understood, the better!

I'm very curious what such a study might reveal.

Me too! :-) BTW, where did you learn bookbinding?

Best regards, .....Nick Pelling.....

PS: unfortunately the raccoon count in the VMS appears extremely low. :-(