Re: Voynich letters

Hi everyone,

Unsurprisingly, I've been looking carefully at the astrological pages, trying to extend my analysis to work out the other 11 signs in f67r (given Pisces, there should only be two possible rotational orders for the signs of the zodica).

A couple of quick observations about the VMS text in general:
(1) words frequently start with { o + gallows } or with { y + gallows }
(2) though { c + gallows + h } appear a lot, many long sections have none at all

Possible explanations:
(1) { y + gallows } at the start of a word could be equivalent to { c + gallows + h }
(2) { o + gallows } could mean "use letter & change state", { gallows } means "use letter"

These parallel mechanisms would allow some latitude in the way that encoding proceeded: and hence might help explain statistical differences between sections and/or Currier languages. There might also be stylistic reasons why the { c + gallows + h } form may be inappropriate for labels and/or carefully laid-out diagrams (they might be too tall to both fit and still remain readable).

Regardless, these simple tactics would also do much to frustrate our search for unambiguous statistical signatures. They would also help lower the entropy towards the level observed.

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....