Re: VMs: results from a modified algorithm: (was Trying to create a test for letter 'value')

Fascinating! And thanks, Claus, for saving me a lot of effort - I guess you do this sort of thing for a living then?

It's interesting that the top 5 (oldys) are the letters that intuitively (and, if I recall correctly, statistically) are vowel-like.

My plan for this stuff is to look at the characteristics of candidate languages for the VMS. If, as I anticipate, the value 'polygons' of Latin, English, Hebrew, etc, are vastly different, then we might be able to match VMS text in some way. If the VMS contained an abbreviated form of a language, we should still be able to identify it because, inevitably, the abbreviated form would retain the letters with the highest value. (E.g. in English, "Th qck brwn fx jmps vr th lzy dg" is a far more likely abbreviated form than "e ui o o u oe e a o").

Rob