Re: VMs: Drawing circles

I am not sure what the mystery is regarding the circular drawings (nymphs) and text.

I thought that the vellum was rotated (no need for a rotating table) as the author wrote it.  You can see how the angle of the glyphs changes each time the page was rotated.  I can rotate a page without the need of something so drastic as a rotating table.

******************************
Larry Roux
Syracuse University
lroux@xxxxxxx
*******************************

>>> incoming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 08/03/03 02:31PM >>>
Hi everyone,

At 10:54 03/08/2003 -0700, Dana Scott wrote:
>Very good. So perhaps our scribe had access to rather sophisticated
>writing/drawing tools, such as might be found in a monastery or an
>institution of higher education.

We're getting there, but we'll need to work just a little harder to lock
down the precise way that each circle was drawn. If there are indeed dots
in the centre of some (but perhaps not others), then it suggests a
mechanical aid (like a circinus) - but I'm also fascinated by the question
of how many of the less obvious rings were produced.

Look at the outer ring on f70r1: this has a sequence that looks like
....oooooooool ar..e.. sasa.. . . . . . . (weird stuff). And look at the
outer rings on f67v1 - these look hand-traced or hand-drawn, not mechanical
at all. Many of the circles appear to be slightly wobbly and/or
non-circular - look at f67r1, for example.

Given the general production techniques for manuscripts, I'm not really
sure I understand how circular bands of text would be produced easily,
unless the whole manuscript was rotating. I suspect that the weird stuff on
f70r1 is just a scribe having fun with a rotating writing table. :-)

All in all, there are plenty of circular diagrams in the VMS - so we should
really be able to work out reasonably definitively from all their
peculiarities how they were produced.

Cheers, ....Nick Pelling.....

PS: a quick aside for Phil Neal: have you looked at the horizontal lines on
f67r2? The text lined up by them appears to be largely top-aligned (ie, to
the top of the gallows) on the second and third line, but not on the first?