Re: VMs: Enciphered shorthand...

Nick Pelling incoming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Hi Rene,
>
> At 07:10 13/11/2003 -0800, Rene Zandbergen wrote:
> >--- Nick Pelling <incoming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I thought it might be interesting to try to express
> > > my argument (that the
> > > VMS is an enciphered shorthand) plus some
> > > alternative explanations into a
> > > single diagram. Here's my first attempt:-
> > >       http://www.nickpelling.com/voynich/vmslogic.htm
> >
> >Nice picture, but IMHO there are a few things
> >that may be challenged.
>
> That's what it's there for. :-)
>
> >First of all a question: are the boxes in red
> >supposed to challenge the ones in green?
>
> My idea was to outline alternative interpretations based on the same
> evidence, so that future tests or research can be designed around
> eliminating one (or all) of them - I'd rather we all tried to move to a
> position of moderate certainty on even the tiniest thing than indulge in
> continuous hand-waving exercises (as has arguably been the case in the
> past). :-o
>
> >Finally, an observation (or test result) cannot
> >identify the one correct hypothesis. It can
> >only divide all hypotheses in two groups, those
> >that are compatible with it and those that
> >aren't.
>
> For each set of evidential data, I was simply trying to list the competing
> hypotheses that seemed compatible and relevant. Given the amount of time
> and effort it must have taken to put together, it seems to me to be a
> reasonable assumption that the basic physical characteristics of the VMs
> were probably chosen deliberately, rather than simply picked at random.
But
> that is an assumption I've only just realised I was relying on, so really
> should have added that to the diagram too. :-)
>
> Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....

I totally agree that deliberate choices were made. I also feel that your
shorthand theory is solid. You have spent a lot of time examining the
evidence. I wish you luck in your endevours. If I come across any
information on the wax tablet systems I will let you know.

In the meantime I will press on with my method. Whether or not it is the
solution I am gaining some very interesting insights into the VMS structure
that would not have been apparent otherwise.

Keep up the slog everyone. We're bound to get there in the end. Aren't we?
:-o

jeff