Syracuse University
lroux@xxxxxxx
*******************************

>>> JGrove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 02/12/04 12:33PM >>>
I've put the image at:
http://www.geocities.com/jgroveuk/Gallows.jpg
<http://www.geocities.com/jgroveuk/Gallows.jpg>

Jon.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Grove [mailto:JGrove@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 12 February 2004 17:14
To: vms-list@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: VMs: RE: Evita, EVA, and transcriptions.

Hi Barbara,

In your detailed examination of the script, have you noticed that frequently
the 'legs' of the gallows characters appear to have been drawn in halves?
It's as though one or two short strokes were drawn for the foot/feet, and
then the top half added in a separate movement. Sometimes there is a small
gap in the middle of a leg, sometimes a kink, sometimes a slight overlap. In
some cases the second 'foot' of a /t/ or /k/ looks like it started out as an
/e/. Of course I don't know what it means, but it struck me as a strange way
to have written these characters. Maybe using a quill forces one to use a
writing style which seems illogical to someone who's never tried it - what
do you think?

I have a jpg of various examples, if anyone's interested.

Jon.