Re: VMs: Arguments against a code book?

Dennis asks:

  > Do you mean that the "words" in a one-word label only occur once
  > in the whole text, or that a given label never reappears as
  > another label?

Both, actually: most single-word labels do not occur anywhere else
in the book; a few also occur in the text, and then may occur many
times.

  > I remember hearing that the plant labels are *never* seen in the
  > text. Is this true?

I have created a new version of my VMS concordance,
without character equivalences, and showing only occurrences
of label words (as labels and in the text):

  http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~stolfi/voynich/misc/060/labels-conc.html

I hope that the format is clear enough. Label-containing textual units
were identified by hand (those that are marked as "labels" in the
INDEX file that comes with the interlinear 16e6); each line within those
units was assumed to be a label, and searched in the main file.

Caveats:

  (1) all versions of the text are represented in the concordance.

  (2) the context strings are always taken from the majority version.

  (3) there are a few errors in the concordance because the VMS
      source files that I used were not entirely consistent with
      each other.

I hope it helps. All the best,

--stolfi