Re: VMs: Voynichese as an Abugida

Hi John

Interesting post. I too have wondered about syllabic representations.

A few thoughts of encouragement. Don't be put off by the apparently large number of syllables in English. The figures may be high for text but nothing like so high for actual sounds. Couple this with the fact that naive intuitions regarding syllables can be good - the written form for Cherokee, if I recall correctly, was invented by a non-linguist and serves well - and it seems likely that someone of, say, Kelly's abilities would have no trouble devising a serviceable syllabary for, say, Latin or other European 'phonetic' languages.

We should note that the consonant vowel distinctions in semitic languages are managed independently for morphological reasons (patterns of vowels are morphemes, and interleave with patterns of consonants, as morphemes). We would not expect to find that in VMS if it is a rendering of anything other than Hebrew/Arabic.

I'd go for consonants with distinct symbols, plus some sort of simple minded coding for vowel sounds (or even their omission).

I'll take another look at Stolfi's grammar when I get home tonight.

Cheers

William