Re: VMs: Re: Re: Inks and retouching

Hi GC and all,

I am especially interested especially in one of the mottos hereafter: "close a few more doors and open others".

I certainly admit that I am a youngster here, hence I have a probably naive question: were some doors definitely said shut in this list, and if yes which ones, why and by whom.

My current
GC <gc-@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rene wrote:

> In Dutch there is a saying: you say 'A', you
> got to say 'B' as well. The meaning of this
> proverb is that if you start speaking, you have
> to finish or put up as well.

So if I say , I have to say as well? I know of the viewpoints Jeff
mentions, (not mine of course) and in this case I don't think he needs to
elaborate beyond his general statement. We all find meaning in different
areas. See below.

> If you claim that certain points of view related
> to the pictures have been deliberately overlooked
> or sidelined, you should tell us which ones.
> It seems extremely unlikely since this list has
> always consisted of hundreds of people free to
> speak their minds. No way to 'control' that.

I've often felt that Nick or someone else shot down an idea before it
blossomed, and I'm certain they've felt that way about my responses as well.
There are a few of us very head-strong and unrelenting in our opinions, and
when we trash ideas on their initial post, we are essentially performing an
act of censorship. This is in essence exerting a method of 'control'. Our
personal visions of our actions are different, but we do indeed 'dominate'
conversations, and censor list input on one level or another. My
single-minded approach is good example, that I rarely leave room for
alternate interpretation. I'm a hard-case for sure, but each of us has to
examine the extent to which we want our opinion to prevail over others, and
our reasoning in that regard.

I've had discussion with Jeff privately about some of the information he is
inferring in his message, and though I don't personally agree with the
premise itself, his efforts along these avenues will at least serve to close a few more doors and open ! others. He is right, that when the initial
information and ideology was presented, it was slammed from all sides, and
as a result the poster did not continue. I believe that I was one of the
participants in this attack, and I wonder that I gave more verbage to
Chinese Theory than something more related to provenance.

Of course, anyone can question Jeff's sanity on the grounds that he does
from time to time support MY position, and that is simply an insane thing to
do on this list. :-) He obviously hasn't read "How to Win Friends and
Influence People", but being an older publication and probably out of print,
we should make allowance. :-) I know I need to be more careful about
shutting down new-comers and getting into arguments with senior members,
even if we've been saying the same things to each other for so long it's
hard not to SCREAM in (*&(*#^$) frustration.

It's not 'unlikely' that certain ideas have been deliberately overloo! ked or
sidelined, it's a fact. This was my introduction to the list through
Rayman's rants about 'arrogant bastards', and I couldn't believe that this
could be true of a group of professionals. Not only was I wrong, I
eventually became one of those people in self-defense. I left the list for
two years because of this very thing. Don't say there's no way to 'control'
ideas on this list, it's done all the time.

Let's just look at the Strong material. You've all passed judgment and
moved on, but not one of you has examined the material and refuted its
validity point by point. How long has it been available, six years maybe?
And why not, by doing so you could have gotten rid of me a long time ago.
Without such a study your collective judgment is without validity, and if
your judgment has failed here, where else does it suffer a lapse?

As I've said, I'm not innocent in this matter. We 'seniors' have developed
a tone that is not entir! ely receptive of new opinion, and we should be more
careful in our approach in the future.

GC