Re: VMs: Strange or not?

--- Knox Mix <knoxmix@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Koontz John E wrote:
>
> > have rather similar distributions, or many vowels,
> or r and l, and so on.
>
> John, I am not proposing that ch and sh are the
> same. EVA-k & EVA-t are

Nah, that was me. And it was just off the top of my
head - incorrectly in fact, I was thinking k and t the
whole time I was saying ch and sh.

Just ponderings on how to identify possible homophonic
substitutions. John - you bring up a good point with
l/r and statistical distributions. Not only would two
identical characters of a homophonic substitution need
to have the same statistical affinities to other
letters, but there would need to be something else to
distinguish from cases like l/r (which have the same
affinities, but are definitely different letters).

Seeing many phrases (two or more words) which are
identical except for a ch<->sh or k<->t (or whatever)
interchange would seem to me a good indicator. That's
what got me thinking with what Knox reported and from
what Marke has seen with fuzzy matches.

> revealing nothing. I am curious as to what other
> people think about it.

Hmmm... That's about all the thoughts I've got so far
:)

:Eric