Re: VMs: flowers & stars: Zoroastrian stuff

Knox Mix wrote:

BTW, somewhere I have heard, in the Zoroastrian era in Iran, they had quite good
calculations about how the Earth and the rest of visible planets are rolling
around the Sun ... pretty long time before Kopernik ... could anybody confirm?

They knew about a certain comet (Gochihr).

... Zarathushtra asked Ohrmazd: 'How much time remains until the time of Frashegird, that is the making of Frashegird and the Future Body?' Ohrmazd said: '3,000 years'. (Pahlavi Rivayat, ch 25. based on tr. of A.V. Williams, 1990.)

NOTE: Frashegird (Av. 'Frasho-kereti', lit. 'making wonderful') refers to the renovation of the universe, the last judgment.

I figure that was AD 2002. I might be a few years off.

Even further off topic: when did they think the Creation occurred?

I've noticed that the traditional Jewish-Christian date for Creation more or less corresponds to the start of recorded history. I wonder whether that's significant. It could be that it ultimately comes from Mesopotamian history and legend.

Dennis