Re: another Horcicky's MS

Dear all,

Like Gabriel I'd like to respond to something not sent to the list but
written
in Rafal's web page (which he brought to our attention via the list).

The person Pontanus was unknown to me and as far as I know not
previously
brought in connection with the VMs. I acknowledge the possibility that
he
owned the VMs between Rudolf and Jacobus, but I am not yet convinced
that it
is  more likely. After all, Jacobus did have an excellent direct
relationship
with Rudolf. Now what if Pontanus was, instead, the seller of the MS to
Rudolf? Is that chronologically possible?

The fate of Jacobus' library after his death is indeed interesting.
Since all
his possessions went to the Clementinum while the two books we know he
owned
did not, we may wonder if his books had not yet changed hands before.
When
he was thrown in goal by representatives of the city of Melnik,
presumably
some of his property was looted... The two books did eventually go
different ways, but when did they separate?

If I understand correctly that Marci's library (which included
Baresch's) has
not been identified in  the Clementinum, then we may remember that Marci
was really much more connected with the Charles University and may even
have been made a Jesuit (shortly prior to his death) against his will.
In his last years, Marci's closest collaborator was his pupil Dobrzenski
de Nigro Ponte. Also he may have known more about the Voynich MS and he
may
well have inherited most of Marci's library. At least some of his Mss
(including private correspondence) ended up in the Strahov monastery.

Equally fascinating is the fact that Pontanus' library, donated to the
Prague cathedral (St. Vitus?) was looted by the Swedes. Since Dr.
Raphael's
Bohemian course, also looted by the Swedes, still exists, we may have
similar hopes for, say, a catalogue of Pontanus' library.

Excellent work by Rafal!

Cheers, Rene