Re: The concentric rings on f57v...?

Hi Dana,

    If we refer to the copy of f57v that you refer to which is available
online at Beinecke and Zoom on the image we can see 4 roughly drawn lines
across the borders of the concentric circles, which may be what you are
referring to. It strikes me here that if the circles themselves can be drawn
so precisely then why aren't the lines also drawn with a straight edge?

It's possible that they could have been lined up in the original, but the scribe got it wrong when copying the diagram, and had to bodge in the lines. "Chinese Whispers" can be a highly effective cryptographic strategy. :-(

Also,
on the penultimate circle that you refer to there actually appear to be 2
parallel strokes marked through this circle. Lines drawn roughly from the
center of the medallion where "the character immediately clockwise from these
lines on the penultimate ring of letters [the ring of 4 x 16 single
characters] is always "o" do not appear (unless I misunderstand your
directions and am on the wrong folio; note that Beinecke labels this folio
f54v).

We're singing off the same songsheet here, yes. :-)

BTW, if you include the "o" in your count then the penultimate ring of
single characters is 4 x 17.

My mistake, sorry. I counted from my notes, which were missing the o's. :-(

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....