VMs: A new proposal, serious this time

I'll just paste here what I recently posted
on sci.lang about the Phaistos Disk (just
replace "Phaistos disk" with "Voynich Manuscrip"):

Actually... the riddle of the Phaistos disk provides us
with a nice computer science assignment (it nice computer
science assignments us, like Ron Hardin says). Given a
transliteration of the disk on the one hand, and a whole corpus
of texts in a whole assortment of languages on the other,
find which parts of the corpus match the disk best, and
the rules for turning the disk into those parts, and
vice versa. It's nice because the corpus does not need
to have been deciphered. For instance, one might find
a best match with the Indus Valley seals (there's enough
of them, I would be surprised if some did not match
selected fragments of the Phaistos disk).

This exercise challenging problems many aspects of
computer science and statistics. At long last
linguistics invaluable contributions the hard
sciences!