Re: VMs: Astronomical Note: f68r3

That's assuming the document predates 1593.  I am not so convinced.  There is some pretty strong evidence in the astronomical section that - at least this part of the document - post-dates 1593.  Of course, as you say, proof is difficult as many interpretations seem to be viable in the manuscript.

The preponderence of data in the Astro section that works together is gathering.  Note that we are not "fitting" things into the document, but rather the opposite.  Using Robert Teague's numbers we find a date on the page and then look at the events during that period.  In every case so far we have found strong connections between the picture depicted and events during that time.

Not say that we are not wrong, of course....History has shown that the most confident solutions in the Voy have proven the biggest blunders.  An open mind is a requirement for those looking into the Voy (and all untranslated documents).
But every path that leads down an alley at least proves something (even if the solution is unworkable).

******************************
Larry Roux
Syracuse University
lroux@xxxxxxx
*******************************

--- Larry Roux <lroux@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looking at f70r2 I am convinced that it depicts the
> comet of July/August 1593 - the year is correct in
> the center circle and in the inner circle, right
> side (again, follow the eyes) is "s al d air" which
> I take to mean "7th and 8th months"
>
> If true, that would be 2 words to go with the
> numbers.

This is an interesting observation, but comets were
not known to be celestial bodies that re-appear,
so this could not possibly be a prediction.
The date 1593 is far too late.

To me, this is evidence that it is possible to
read anything in the MS text if one looks for
it.

Keep up the good work though,
      Rene