VMs: Edward Kelly's dead Catholic bishop...?

Hi everyone,

I've just been going over the details of Edward Kelly's "I-bought-it-in-a-pub-off-the-landlord-for-a-guinea" story: reading up more about 16th Century Somerset, it seems quite clear that most money raised around there got siphoned off to the super-bishopric and monastery at Glastonbury - and so that seems to be pretty much the most likely place any reasonably high-ranking Catholic bishop would have been buried.

Now... if we can date the VMS to not before (say) 1450, and the Dissolution of the Monasteries to 1535-1536, and we're only interested in high-ranking Catholic burials in one graveyard, then surely this gives a pretty narrow window for identifying a list of candidates for this dead bishop?

By examining the known details of the (I guess) 4 or 5 bishops who were buried at Glastonbury during that time, we may find out some interesting leads - but has anyone tried to do this already?

Also: I'm currently planning to travel down to Glastonbury next week - is there anywhere/anyone there I should try to look at / talk with about this?

I should also point out that there's a further possibility - that the whole story was constructed as a kind of "semantic cryptogram", as a way of secretly identifying the real source of the manuscript (perhaps a necromancer within the Church?) Just a thought to keep you on your toes. :-)

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....