Re: VMs: Latin abbreviations

Dear Gabriel,

Points taken, and I'm aware that you have tackled the implications of most of
these points yourself in the past, but some of the newer group members might be
helped by a brief review of some relevant arguments, so here goes, with apologies
to those members who've seen this more than once before.

The VMS might build on Latin shorthands by deliberately removing the ambiguities
in those shorthands, while keeping some of the concepts and/or symbols. This  is
what I was trying to get at with the reference to word structures within
Voynichese. With the degree of structural constraint within Voynichese words, it
would be easier to use the same symbol to represent unambiguously different things
depending on its place in the "word". This would be particularly well suited to
use with Latin, where the word endings are often predictable from context - for
instance, the endings of nouns after prepositions, where a single symbol could be
used as shorthand for "the appropriate suffix for this word after that
preposition". This would allow a single symbol such as "y" to stand in for a large
number of word endings unambiguously, though in other contexts it might be
necessary to spell out the ending at length to resolve ambiguity. It may not be
what Latin shorthands actually did, but a case can be made for this being what the
VMS' creator did. I think there are discussions of this in the archives - it would
make sense of the low number of different final characters in Voynichese words
compared to medial characters, but there are various objections to it, which
require more space than is convenient in this brief note....

The point about  modern versus premodern shorthands is also taken; modern
shorthands are a bit of a separate issue, but it's conceivable that the VMS does
involve a code which the creator could read while the content was still fairly
fresh in the creator's mind, but which became unreadable later because the creator
couldn't remember which was the correct reading of an ambiguous text, as in the
case of the secretaries. Some of the proto-writings of West Africa were used in
the same sort of aide-memoire way (there are examples in Dillinger's book on the
alphabet). I don't personally think this is terribly likely as an explanation for
the VMS, but thought it was worth mentioning as a curiosity which could possibly
be of use to some group member some day.

Best wishes,

Gordon