VMs: Re: Currier A and B + question

> "... the distance between A and B languages at r300 is smaller than that
> between Genesis and Isaiah in Latin ..."

Which is not surprising given that these two texts (Gen, Is) come from
totally different ages, have a totally different provenance (compilation,
construction) and are two totally different genres (historical, prophecy).
Maybe you will get a better match if you compare Leviticus with Deuteronomy?

Question:
Is there a book on linguistics in "Steven Jay Gould" style? I would like to
read more on the evolutionary tree of languages, the research by German
philologists, undeciphered languages, the structural units of language and
meaning etc. but in a book that I can understand and that is fun to read.
Does such a book exist?