Re: VMs: introducing myself and 2 questions :)

Hi everyone,

At 05:49 29/07/2003 -0700, Matt Welnicki wrote:
Obviously if it could be posted on a server that would
be best.  But if not, upon receipt of a copy I could
also make a few copies and send them off to other who
could do the same etc., etc.

Of course - but I'd be even more comfortable setting a big fat download going while I'm working on something else completely. I haven't tried downloading anything that big yet... but there's always a first time. :-)

On the issue of copyrights, I think we've touched on
this before.  The images/photos from Yale may be
copyrighted but the actual VMS's copyright has since
been expired.  And are some of the photos from before
the donation to Yale?  Yale may claim a right to all
images in light of the fact that they can sell them,
but since it is for scholarly research, they would be
hard pressed to assert this claim.  And sometimes
compilation, reorganization and the
addition/interpretation of the work can avoid the
copyrights.

IIRC, Wilfrid Voynich made some efforts to bully everyone to whom he had given copies to return them, so that he was able to try to sell not just the MS but control over the MS' reproduction. The Beinecke also owns a large number of those early photographs.

As for other copies: the British Library's (incomplete) set of positive monochrome rotographs were donated by Robert Steele in 1931: but I don't believe that these have been reproduced at all.

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....