VMs: And the VMS' big secret is...

Hi everyone,

I woke up this morning with this one thought: what if the Voynich's biggest secret is simply... the Voynichese crypto system?

As I art-history date the VMS (from its iconography) to Northern Italy circa 1450-1475, this places it (probably) after the 1454 Treaty of Lodi (the formation of the 25-year-duration Most Holy League, which prompted all the North Italian states to send envoys to each other, and then to try to acquire crypto systems to ensure that those same envoys could send/receive information securely) - ie, right in the middle of the Quattrocento cipher arms race.

A new (and much improved) kind of cryptographic system would have been a potentially valuable secret - so perhaps the function of the VMS was simply to test out this new system?

As we know from history, the culture of using nomenclature-type ciphers was to prove hard to shift, even in the presence of demonstrably more secure 16th century systems (like polyalphabetic ciphers, etc) - so even if the VMS did prove to be a successful proof-of-concept demonstration, its coding system too was not enough to sway the established crypto culture.

Put in more contemporary dot-com terms: might the VMS simply be a proof-of-concept demo for a Quattrocento cryptographic startup which folded before getting to market?

Why else would the VMS include (as I currently suggest) an encrypted model of its novel encoding/decoding instrument (ie, the 9-rosette map), and an encrypted version of its code-tables (ie, the astrological volvelles) if the coding system was not the secret itself?

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....