Re: VMs: Quattrocento Minor Characters...

Hi Rafal,

At 16:22 02/12/2003 +0100, Rafal Prinke wrote:
Nick Pelling wrote:
> I guess "anyone active in Northern Italy at any time during 1400-1500"
> ought to fit the bill. :-)
This would be too limiting, I am afraid. While I tend to agree
(on Dec 2nd, 2003, at 16:11 - it may change any time!) that
the VMS is of Northern Italian origin in the broad sense, it may have
been actually produced anywhere else, where the Italian
Renaissance became popular. And it certainly was very
much in vogue in Prague or Cracow - the latter especially
after Bona Sforza became the queen of Poland and brought
artists, architects, diplomats etc. with her, even the
vegetables one puts into soup - leek, parsley, carrot and
celery, which are to this day collectively called "Italian stuff"
in Polish.

The Quattrocento Minor Characters project was specifically triggered by discussions I'd had with early modern historians about the difficulties we all face when trying to cross-reference minor characters through the Quattrocento. So, while it happens to fit my own particular view of the VMs :-) , it would be a bit misleading to see it as a project centred purely on the VMs.

Bona Sforza was born in Vigevano [near Pavia] on 2nd February 1494, so I think it would be fair enough to include her (if there haven't been at least two biographies of her in the last 25 years). Though whether a Queen of Poland can really be called "minor" is another question entirely. :-)

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....