Re: VMs: A comment on Jacques Guy's table

Hi Bruce,

At 14:53 18/12/2003 -0500, Bruce Grant wrote:
I have always kept open in my mind the possibility that the VMS is a hoax constructed for sale to someone, and therefore probably meaningless. But it occurred to me the other day that, if I were creating such a hoax, I _would_ want it to mean something, and I would want the cipher/code to be relatively simple (at least in places). Think what a great sales pitch it would be to "decode" part of the manuscript reveling some "great secret" - the potential buyer would be positively salivating to get his hands on the document so he could learn the rest of the secrets it contained.

Wouldn't that have been the purpose of the diagrams in the [hoaxed] VMs? Especially the nymphs, pipework... it's just a shame there's no noticeable alchemical or bizarre religious imagery, they would probably have been much better sales props (I guess). :-)

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....