Re: VMs: vms sentences

"(4) paragraphs consist of a single super-long sentence"

or one could say :

(6) the encryption scheme makes the encrypted text much longer than the original character length of the original text (ie lots of null characters or a single character being encrypted by a series of glyphs).

This would make what we see those long series of lines starting with a "p" as a single sentence.  The next sentence would not start until the next line-leading "t".  Now THAT is just an idea.

But I stand by my statement that line-initial "p" and "t" are paragraph and line markers.  But you are right.  You want the proof (statistically) and so you shall have it....

******************************
Larry Roux
Syracuse University
lroux@xxxxxxx
*******************************
>>> incoming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 02/07/04 13:10 PM >>>
Hi Larry,

At 10:49 07/02/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I am not sure what internal 'p's and 't's mean yet, but I know for a
>fact that for the left most character in a line the p or t has meaning
>related to sentences/paragraphs.  I very much doubt this is a red
>herring.

Whoa - hold it right there, Larry. The whole point of the thread was to
help Mark Lee understand our thoughts on the existence of *sentences* in
the VMs (as that is a thing he could possibly test for). Sure, we can see
all these page-initial and paragraph-initial behaviours - but why can't we
reliably see them in the middle of paragraphs, too?

Now, if instead you were to say "here's my model for Voynichese t-words,
which predicts with an 85% certainty which <t>-words were paragraph-initial
or not - and, having looked at their other occurrences in the text, I'm
quite sure that those would be sentence-initial too", we might actually be
in business... but we're not ATM. :-(

We might also consider (for example) whether:-
(1) the first character of a paragraph is ornamental, misleading, or part
of a cipher-system
(2) sentences in a para all run together (fairly common for Italian texts,
AIUI)
(3) sentence-starts within a para are obscured
(4) paragraphs consist of a single super-long sentence
(5) inter-sentence gaps are denoted by a subtly wider space (only
noticeable by decoder)

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....