Re: VMs: Jacobus' education

Hi Marcio,

yes, it is the same Jesuit seminary in Krumlov, there was only one there.
As far as the apothecary shop,
it was officially attached to the seminary, but as for building, I never checked.
Jacobus there worked as an assistant to  priest  named Martin Schaffner
who was very succesfull in healing the burghers as well as inhabitants of the
seminary. When Jacobus left the seminary for Jesuit University Clementinum in
Prague, he also started to sell his Aqua Sinapia, the medical potion, apparently very
effective, since it made him quite rich.

I took the liberty to look-up the email address of the webmaster (of the page
you discovered) but found only one of Ing. Libor Svácek, who si the photographer
and apparently its author as well. I wrote to him in Czech, trying to gain his
cooperation or at least some e-mail addresses. Funny you mentioned the Prague
Jesuit College in Clementinum - I wrote to them about a month ago, with the same
offer of cooperation, also giving them the download address for my electronic
book about the VM, called THE ENIGMATIC MANUSCRIPT (actually there is only Czech
version,  ZAHADNY RUKOPIS; I never got around to translating it in English)  but
they haven't answer yet; apparently they are still reading it :-).

 Most of the book can be however found - in English - on my VM web  page, at:
 http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/ohlas/VM/  In the book, I was
 also pointing out that Jacobus is the only name around the VM we can be sure of
 and I wondered why it was not investigated further. He possessed all
 qualifications the VM needed: he was gifted student and scolar, skilled in
 botanics and herbal healing, great experimentator, and as an alchemist he
 apparently knew astronomy and astrology as well.

 I really appreciate you are following this lead,

Jan

>Hello,
>
>The Jacobus biography tells that he was admited to the Krumlov Jesuit seminary
>as a student in 1590. After he graduated, he was trained in the art of
>pharmacy for two years, also at the seminary. He left the seminary probably
>after 1598, when he was 23.
>
>After some googling I found a page about a Jesuit college at Krumlov, which
>was built from 1586 to 1588:
>http://www.ckrumlov.cz/uk/mesto/objekt/i_hor154.htm
>
>Since the dates match, I wonder if this is the same seminary at which Jacobus
>graduated. The college worked until 1773, when the Jesuit order was
>dissolved. There is no mention on what happened to the college records after
>the dissolution. At 1889 the place was turned into a hotel, which exists
>until present day.
>
>There is a reference to a nice Baroque Jesuit Pharmacy, which is well
>preserved at the current Krumlov museum. The pharmacy was housed at the
>seminary and it is estimated that it began to function shortly after 1600, so
>it is not wrong to suppose that Jacobus has worked with it.
>
>Why all this research ? Because Jacobus' name is moving up in my list of
>"prime suspects". While I have found nothing extraordinary, my next target
>are the years Jacobus spent at the Jesuit University at Prague.
>
>Regards,
>Marcio.

Best regards.
Jan
 Our mail is always sent without attachments.
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/ohlas/VM/ Voynich Manuscript