 Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:03:37 +0100
 From: Nick Pelling <incoming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 To: vms-list@xxxxxxxxxxx
 Subject: Re: VMs: Initial gallows

 Hi Steve,

 At 00:19 28/03/2004 -1000, Steve Ekwall wrote:
 >i guess i'm still ~stupid spooked steve~ (sigh).. i've tried every
 >which way from sunday to explain how the gallows ARE a _change.key_
 >function..

 Personally, I *do* get it - but let me explain a little more...

 You describe a cipher system which is pretty much exactly like a VMs cipher
 system would need to be to reconcile (a) the dating evidence, (b) the
 structural evidence, and (c) the statistical evidence. This alone is pretty
 exciting, were it not for one awkward fact - having looked at the text
 produced by the exact gallows fold/shift mechanism you describe, it still
 does *not* look much like any language I've seen (and I've looked at a fair
 few). Your ES told you that you couldn't read it, right? So why are you so
 sure that we can?

 In fact, there seems to be a number of good reasons to suspect that there's
 some kind of abbreviation / shorthand process going on as well - but
 (AFAIK) nobody's tried to decipher a shorthand text written in a complex
 cipher-system before. Hence we're probably several (jigsaw) pieces short of
 Convergence. :-o

 So, the way it looks to me is this: that you're probably right in most of
 the important ways, but the gallows shifting stuff is only part of the
 story (in fact, possibly only 1/12th?) Have faith in the rest of us to work
 out the remainder, and - with a bit of luck - we should all get there in
 the end! :-)

 Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....