Re: VMs: Folio and Quire numbers

The other observation is that in my review of French Military records from the 18th and 17th century I have seen similar use of numbers (that is, pm(eva y) for 1, eva l for 4, etc.

I guess that just shows that the usage of those latin short forms did not go out of general use until much later - lasting well into the 1760s.

******************************
Larry Roux
Syracuse University
lroux@xxxxxxx
*******************************

--- mmand <mmand@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It is interesting that quire numbers (available at
> http://www.voynichinfo.com/quires/quire_marks.html)
> make
> sense as latin abbreviations of ordinal numbers.

There are two additional observations on the quire
numbering that interest me. They're both related
to the questions whether the pages are in the
order in which they were intended to be, and whether
the quire marks were written 'early'.

Observation 1 is that the quire numbers tend to
be on the reverseie of the last folio in the quire,
*with a few exceptions*. And in some of those cases
it would not be possible to re-fold the bifolio
such that the quire mark would end up in the
nominal place. John Grove has written on this
topic before.

Observation 2 is that in the first part of the MS
which is mixed language-A and language-B, the
quire numbers also appear on the B-language
pages.

Now one hypothesis is that the pages are currently
not in the correct order. For example, the B-language
herbal pages got mixed up with the A-language
herbal pages. Also, there are a few herbal pages
near the end of the MS, far away from the rest
of the herbal section.

If that is true, then the quire numbers must have
been added after all pages were completed and after
this mix-up.
To me that doesn't make much sense.

I haven't yet been able to come up with a consistent
explanation for when exactly the quire numbers
would have been written.

Cheers, Rene