Re: VMs: Viola tricolor (hoax)

> I agree with what you say.  Rugg's hoax attempt would
> be much more credible if he had reproduced a much
> larger actual sample of the VMs.

I have exchanged some emails with Gordon Rugg, and if his theory is true, it
may not even be possible to reconstruct the tables by which the VMS was
hoaxed. But it may be possible to reconstruct the broad statistics of the
tables. His theory points the way to a whole new set of statistical
experiments that wait to be done, and isn't that just what we want? Even if
not true, it's stimulating. That's why it's a pity that the reactions have
been lukewarm.

On the other hand, the Manchu theory, while quite exciting, is essentially
untestable by non-experts like me. I don't intend to study Manchu. All I can
do is sit and watch what happens.

Question:

In quality control there's a method that determines whether a parameter
(size, temperature) is inside it's control boundaries (then you don't have
to do anything) or outside (then you have to adjust the process). I know it
is easy and it works, but I've forgotten the name and the details. Anyone
who knows?