Re: VMs: f56r & f56v (DON'T WANT IT TO BE: 1006184 & 1006185)

Nick Pelling wrote:

> IMO, the first sensible step should be to put together (semi-)automated
> ways of Wikifying existing data and placing it all on the Wikibook site.
> Sources include:-
> * the interlinear file (but probably not all the transcriptions)

	The majority-vote version sounds best.

> * links to threads/posts on the mailing list archive (ie, Dana's suggested
> identification[s], etc)

	Pam Wilson has the only current version of Dana's
identifications:

http://members.efortress.com/wilsonk/vmspictures.html

Pam has a good format, IMO.  I do wish Pam or Dana
would give us an updated list of his identifications.

	I'm not so sure about linking mailing list archive
data to each page. It's too much work if it has to be
done manually.

> * page thumbnails from Seth's site
> * links to Beinecke image pages (or to Seth's mirror)

	Better direct links to the Beinecke site per GC's
list, since their own pages are a pain.

> Collating this quantity of information will be a significant technical task
> - and editing it will be a huge task as well, which will need dividing
> amongst the whole list. Even just reading every mailing list post on
> individual pages could take days in some cases!...

	I don't think it will happen.  I think people will
follow their own interests and take it from there.
They can add to the wiki on their own.  The mailing
list archives are there, they can read them.  I have
them on my own hard disk and search them from time to
time.

	As is said in some other fields of endeavor, leading
VMs researchers is like herding cats!  ;-)

Dennis