Re: VMs: trivia

On Sunday 27 June 2004 20:22, knoxmix@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I was thinking of EVA. Although there is a "u" for one of the VMS
> glyphs it does not occur with the frequency of a vowel. Additionally,
> a nod was given to choosing Latin letters with some resemblance to
> the VMS glyphs. Seems strange to me.

Yes, <u> does not look like the letter u at all, but more like @; some may
argue that it could be also written as <(on)>. It was one of the last letters
to be included in the eva alphabet, and there weren't many places left (u, w
and z). There is, though, some advantage in having the "common" characters
compacted in the a-z range. Rene can confirm this, but I seem to remember
that there was some discussion on whether to leave it as a weirdo or keep it
as a common character since we chose to have a minimum number of times (10?)
before it was considered a common character. In my unchecked version it
appears 6 times. Another similar case is <z> which (again in my copy) appears
only once <f17r.7>, so it could well be moved back into the weirdoes set. It
looks like a really short <k>.
Furthermore, I seem unable to find where does weirdo &182; appear, so it may
be taken out.

As I mentioned before, eva is going for version 2 sometime in the
not-too-distant future mostly due to the impossibility to display some
characters in the ascii space (Windows seems to reserve some spaces, so they
will be moved around, possibly to the Unicode Private Use area).

Cheers,
Gabriel