Re: VMs: f58v to f65r transition

Hi Ken,

At 20:29 29/06/2004 -0500, you wrote:
If you register f58v and f65r one thing becomes obvious. There is a clear difference in the wear and staining between the two pages. It is almost as if f65r was heavily exposed somehow while f58v has been very well protected. In fact, f58r/v is one of the cleanest of any folio.
How could this happen? I understand the rebinding argument yet I find it odd that two folios so differently worn came together, side by side.

Are you able to eliminate scanning artefacts? If one was photographed at the end of one day and the next at the start of the next, you might get appreciable differences between the two. FWIW, the file creation dates in the metadata are less than two minutes apart, so I suspect that they probably refer to the time of the compression, not the time of the scanning. :-o

Also: they've only been side by side for roughly 70 years, so they're comparative strangers in the big scheme of things. :-)

What we can also tell from the metadata embedded in the sids is that the original scans were stored as uncompressed 8-bit TIFF files: and that a gamma of 3.0 was specified in the sid compression. These are consistent between the two files, so there's no obvious back-end processing difference between the two. Sorry, but that's about all I can see ATM. :-(

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....