Re: VMs: Colored paints, touch-ups, and the michiton text

Hi Bruce,

At 16:33 04/07/2004 -0400, Bruce Grant wrote:
Nick Pelling wrote:
FWIW... IMO, this is just a c with a cedilla (but one that loops back on itself) - my best guess is therefore that the zodiac labels are basically Occitan.

Any theories about why the manuscript would be labelled in Occitan? For example, is it known to have spent any time in southern France, or to have belonged to an Occitan speaker at some point?

I'm just reporting what "març" tells me - that an Occitan speaker somewhere probably not too far (culturally or physically) from Toulon owned the ms, and left his/her mark on the zodiac pages. Perhaps that might be sufficient for an astute observer to match up some of the sid-file marginalia against that particular hand... you never know! :-)

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....