Re: Re: VMs: Re: Re: Inks and retouching

Hi Jan,

At 09:32 11/08/2004 -0500, Jan Hurych wrote:
It is rather misfortunate if this list, originally devoted to free exchange of opinions is being hijacked by somebody, just because he claims he is a "senior" (for all what it is worth),

Someone else's word and claim, certainly not mine and certainly not about me - by my own definition, I'm still a "newcomer" (less than 10 years experience of the VMs).

Here, the observations I'm arguing from are:-
(a) that the pages have been bound in an incorrect order
* In particular Quires 9 and 13, but note the mixed-up A/B Herbal pages too
(b) that the foliation matches this incorrect order
* When the foliation was added, the pages were in the order that we see them now
(c) that the foliation is written in a hand quite different from the rest of the VMs
* In short, it's a Renaissance hand, not a humanist / early modern one

From these, I conclude:-
(d) that the rebinding was done by someone who was not the original writer
(e) that the foliation happened after the rebinding
(f) that the foliator was not the original writer

If you can point to any evidence that undermines any of these individual steps, please do so and we can debate the issue here - and hopefully move forward as a group. However, if the problem is simply that they don't match your personal idea of how the VMs ought to have been made, then that's not really my problem - as I wrote before, it's down to individuals to try to work out how their ideas stand up to "awkward evidence" like this, and to work towards interesting new syntheses that move those ideas forward.

I flagged your name simply because you have claimed (on-list and on your web pages) that the foliation's hand was very similar to the VMs' hand - yet AIUI nearly everyone else here would consider the opposite to be true. Shall we open out a different thread discussing this?

Finally, while I don't (of course) much like being called "Big Brother Nick", I'll still defend your right to call me any (non-defamatory) name under the sun to get your point across. Yes, it's true that I am a bit more dogmatic on-list than I used to be (GC has been giving me private lessons) - but I'm really not sure I recognise anything censorious or "denigratory" in my tone.

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....