Re: VMs: excessive frequency of doubles...

Good guess and good cognates, but it's got to be Rapa Nui, the language of
Easter Island, since this is Jacques Guy, who, if I recall the web sites I
went through a while back, is interested in the Rongo-Rongo.

With the aid of http://www.rongorongo.org/index.html:

> On Thursday 19 August 2004 17:38, Jacques Guy wrote:
> he   to'o mai  e te tagata hoa    hare, he   avai.
  PRED take from the  man    master house Pred give
                                          (who gives it)

> ina eko    kai e   rapahago, he   ma'u, he   oho
  not at-all eat the fish      PRED carry PRED go

> ki te  hare  ana  i  haga, e haka  uru.
  to the house cave in bay     cause cook-in-ashes

I've never really studied any of the Polynesian grammars enough to master
the various pre-predicative and pre-nominal particles, and the scheme
varies from language to language in significant ways, so this comes under
the heading of wild slashing at the text.  I noticed with discomfort a
considerable number of homophones, all points at which I may have gone
astray!  It seems to be a series of ritual instructions in the imperative
mode.