Re: VMs: "Zodiac" signs and Regulus

Hi, Rene!

<<And my pet peeve, the page author uses the now
popular form 'Scorpio' which I would not expect
from an expert. Scorpius is Latin, Scorpion
English and Scorpio is a car manufactured by Ford.
But perhaps this is already a lost battle....>>

Now I may be mistaken, Rene, but it was my
understanding that Scorpius is the name of the
constellation, while the sign of the Zodiac, in
English, is called "Scorpio."  At least, I
consistently see it that way in present-day
astrological sources.

So, in the same way the constellation may be
"Capricornus", but in English, we call the sign of the
Zodiac named after this constellation "Capricorn".

Of course, I am always interested in learning
something new.  Do you have information otherwise?

Warmly,

Pam

--- Rene Zandbergen <r_zandbergen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- Pamela Richards <spirlhelix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi, Rene, Nick and all
> >
> > I will look forward to seeing those links once
> they
> > are complete.
>
> Give it a try with the current names. There is
> a good chance that it will work.
>
> > In the meanwhile, on tauroctony: here's a great
> > site.
> >
> > http://www.well.com/user/davidu/mithras.html
> >
> > It turns out that the murals decorating the walls
> of
> > Mithraic temples are now thought to be "star maps"
> > of a chain of constellations which are part of
> > the Mithraic myth.
>
> Hmmm, I've looked at the page, but I am not at all
> convinced. This looks more like an 'alternative'
> explanation rather than 'new understanding'.
> Mind you, I'm no expert.
>
> > These constellations begin with Taurus and move
> > through Scorpius, but they swerve from the
> ecliptic
> > and include constellations we don't usually think
> of
> > in connection with the conventional twelve signs,
> > like
> > Corvus the Crow.  And there are only seven of
> them.
>
> It is claimed that it represents a feature of
> the heavens in the period 4000 BCE to 2000 BCE.
> Why would people in those days be interested
> in the celestial equator??
> How can we know that the constellations now known
> as Corvus and Hydra were also called the same
> then? I also see no explanation for the two
> guys with torches, whose names are Cautes and
> Cautopates in the traditional explanation (if I
> remember correctly.).
> And the complaint about the traditional explanation,
> which is that there is no known tradition of
> an Iranian god killing a bull, would apply to
> several aspects of this alternative explanation
> as well.
>
> And my pet peeve, the page author uses the now
> popular form 'Scorpio' which I would not expect
> from an expert. Scorpius is Latin, Scorpion
> English and Scorpio is a car manufactured by Ford.
> But perhaps this is already a lost battle....
>
> > I don't think we are necessarily looking at a
> > tauroctony in the VMs, but I do wonder if it is
> > something similar.  Those illustrations are
> > different
> > enough, yet still detailed enough, to suggest the
> > artist knew what he meant to convey--and it was
> not
> > quite the Zodiac as we know it.  Knowing the VMs
> > author's predilection for misdirection, it seems
> > difficult to demonstrate that the absence of two
> > signs is not intentional.
>
> There actually is a stub of a cut out page
> in the right place, and the remaining illustrations,
> though quaint, unmistakably follow the normal
> zodiac signs in the right order.
>
> It is often said that the month names were written
> at a later date. Manly (1931) even suggests that
> these emblems were only added at a later date.
> [...]

=====
"I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing, than to teach ten thousand stars how not to dance."