Re: VMs: Rohonczi Codex (smudging)

3/11/2004 10:02:53 PM, ajb <ajb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>A long age ago when I was at school, I taught myself to write left-
>handed (as well as right-handed as instructed.) This evolved into a
>style where I wrote almost "upside-down" as it were - from the top and
>left to right but from _above_, with my left wrist very much crooked.

You are describing a manner of writing which I have observed in
several left-handed people I have known. So there is nothing
extraordinary or unlikely there.

Next, I do not think that the argment of smudging the text already
written holds much water. You could equally well argue that writing
from top to bottom ensures that the bottom part of the page gets
covered in perspiration and in natural skin oils--and the ink
won't take as well then. And you could argue that writing from
right to left will cause smudging of the right part of the line--
unless you left-handed. And anyway, I seem to remember (rather
vaguely, it was a long time ago), that when in primary school
we were taught to rest our writing hand on a sheet of blotting
paper.