VMs: Epibrating Cerebrating

I've been wondering what response Rugg's article would bring from the public. According to its uniform standards of editorial judgment, our favorite publication printed this letter to the editor in the November 2004 issue:

*Cerebrating Voynich*

I was delighted in Gordon Rugg's approach in "The Mystery of the Voynich Manuscript." Rugg's attention to the history of the acceptance of certain views underlines the social and personal forces that have shaped the sciences. We must pay attention to the politics and provenance of "fact," the process of "expert reasoning," as Rugg puts it. Increasingly, we must join the perspectives of available disciplines: biology, psychology, history, linguistics and many other fields. Only such cooperation can pry truth from process and allow us in some small way to escape our wiring.

Certainly, "forms of sensibility," as Kant put it, affect our knowledge. Because we are in a better pisition than any other age to examine such forms and categories, we should do so in a more systematic way. I hope reliance on such investigations will become a larger element in our scientific literature.

                                 John J. Ronan
                                 Magnolia, Mass.