Re: Re: VMs: Argentina...and Moretus

--- Nick Pelling <nickpelling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > [Jan] P.S. There was a rumor at that time
> > that  Jesuits secretly buried the
> > archive in their cellar before they had to leave
> > Prague 1773, but I doubt if we get permission
> > to dig there :-).
>
> Does anyone know the address? A ground-penetrating
> radar scan might help to convince the owners that
> it's worth the effort. :-)

Don't underestimate the local historians. If there
were a chance to find something, they would have
gone for it. When I was in Prague in September, I
actually mentioned this story to one of the people
I met there (his field is history of astronomy)
and he just responded (with a big smile) that
there are lots of rumours and lots of underground
spaces. One of his colleagues later showed some
slides of the damage done to some archives by the
flooding of the Moldau about a year ago.

Some decades ago, the Marci expert Zdenek Servit
got permission to search for Marci's grave in the
celler of the St.Salvator church. He went down
into what was supposed to be the crypt with a
couple of colleaugues (I spoke with Dr.Smolka
who was one of them), but they found nothing except
some WW.II guns and a few bones. No coffins,
no inscriptions, no names.

Cheers, Rene