Kim Del Castillo

Tell everyone a bit about your background, where you are from, and how you became interested in the Voynich manuscript.
Forum rules
Any ideas are welcome. Flaming, insults, threats and ridicule are not allowed. Please be civil.
kimdelcastillo

Kim Del Castillo

Post by kimdelcastillo »

Hello,

My name is Kim Del Castillo and I first saw the MS on documentary and I love mystery and puzzles. I am a true believer. I have been working on it off and on for thirteen years now and found some really astounding things. I live in a small town in Central Missouri and I am retired.

The reason I am a true believer is if you look at what was happening at the time the vellum on which it is written has been carbon-dated to the early 15th century (1404–1438)

Why would anyone do this?

This part of the question haunts me most. It’s the real underlying reason this book exists at all. The reason I say this is because the twenty six calves it took to make it and the cost of candles to see it let alone write it. People don’t do this for a women’s health book. The time invested and recipes just don’t make sense. The manuscript is overtly crude as opposed to standard manuscripts of the time. Being a scribe at the time was very intense work and usually only done during daylight hours. This was to save on cost and time of candles. Yes, there was no electricity anywhere. Then there are overtly larger problems happening all around Italy and even within it.

The great Schism, even as late as the 1430’s the bishops named a third pope. At this point one could imagine the upheaval and ransacking that had to have taken place. This was also during the hundred year war that lasted until 1453. While the conflict was primarily between France and England, Italy and Spain would be affected because of lack of outside or land guided goods, and then you have the Bubonic plague that ran from late in the 1200’s all into the 1400’s. The Plague took nearly half of the European population. The plague repeatedly haunted Europe for years, and the second wave hit it again in 1360-63 and, 1374-1400, then 1438-1439 and continued on until after 1600. It didn’t even really recede until after the 18th century in Europe and the 19th century in Africa.

By 1431 Joan of Arc was burned at the stake. These were not simple times. It was difficult to trust the church and state because Italy was at odds with who had what with and who was titled. The book itself has to mean something more.

The 1st page is nearly a thousand characters and the last page 2358, would you put that much effort into nothing not to mention everything else?
I only want to know, I don't mind working for it, I just want to know... That's all. I put out every other view off my radar and just worked the text because that is all I want to know...Literately. It was done for a reason and I only want to know.

Kim
“Creativity doesn’t wait for that perfect moment. It fashions its own perfect moments out of ordinary ones.” —Bruce Garrabrandt

proto57

Re: Kim Del Castillo

Post by proto57 »

Welcome to the forum, Kim. And you point out many important questions about the Voynich. And I think we all share the hope that we will learn what it is all about, someday.

Rich.
"Man is the measure of all things: What is, that it is; what is not, that it is not"- Protagoras