The 1910 Voynich Theory

A place to describe one's own theories, or the theories of others. Genuine, Forgery, Hoax, Herbal, New World, Modern, etc.
Forum rules
All ideas are welcome, but please be civil with each other.
proto57

The 1910 Voynich Theory

Post by proto57 »

This is my own Modern Forgery Hypothesis, and can be found here: https://proto57.wordpress.com/2016/03/2 ... ypothesis/

Here are the first two paragraphs of that page,

"This hypothesis proposes that the Voynich Manuscript is a circa 1908 to 1910 work, created by or at the request of Wilfrid Voynich, using materials he found after the 1908 acquisition of the Libreria Francescini, in Florence, Italy. It is also proposed that the work may have been created there, and that it was possibly made from larger sheets of calfskin, cut down to serve this purpose. I further propose that is was created first as a Jacob Horcicky botanical, which was meant to appear as though it was created in the Court of Rudolf II in the early 17th century, and as such was falsely “signed” by him. At some later point (by about 1910/11?), the intended author and time was changed to Roger Bacon and the 13th century, probably by removing many of the now missing pages (which may have run counter to a Roger Bacon claim). Sometime later, the 1666 Marci to Kircher letter was forged, in order to strengthen this new, intended, Bacon authorship.

"Among the possible sources used to create the Voynich Ms. were the 1904 Follies of Science at the Court of Rudolf II by Bolton (practically a “primer” for perceived content), The Microscope and Its Revelations, 19th century, by William B. Carpenter, the 1909 Nature Through the Microscope, by Kerr, along with other specific books on microscopy and/or microscopes, certain herbals, botanicals, and more. I also believe that the forger used various known artifacts and works in collections available to Voynich, such as those in the nearby Museo Galileo in Florence, in Paris, Berlin, Rome and London, and other places he was known to have traveled to."

After that I go into the speculative timeline of the above events, and show illustrations. As of today, no one can prove what the Voynich is, any case is speculative, including the commonly projected "1420 Genuine European Cipher/Herbal". But I feel there is a very good circumstantial case that the work was created in modern times, probably by or for Wilfrid himself.
"Man is the measure of all things: What is, that it is; what is not, that it is not"- Protagoras