Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum & f77r?

Origins, comparisons, dating of Voynich Illustrations
Forum rules
All ideas are welcome, but please be civil with each other.
proto57

Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum & f77r?

Post by proto57 »

I had long suspected that the f77r tubes, and tube outlets, represented the Four Classic Elements, plus æther. Here is my 2010 blog post on the subject:

https://proto57.wordpress.com/2010/02/1 ... e-voynich/

As I noted in that post, I also noted that the f88r illustrations may represent the Elements, and the birds used even have a close similarity in style to those used by Michaeal Maier in his Atalanta Fuegens, for the same purpose.

But not listed there was my later observation that an illustration in Elias Ashmole's 1652 compliation, Theatrum Chemicum Britannicum, has several very similar features to the Voynich f77r image: Nude women, in baths, with a tube, with outlets, spewing "stuff". However, this illustration show seven, not five, outlets:

Well the thing is, if one looks back at the f77r illustration, one could include the two ends outlets, and that would then be seven, also:

In any case, this was one of those things I wanted to revisit, so I looked up the "Theatrum...":
https://archive.org/details/theatrumche ... 6/mode/2up

The above image appears on page 350, with the included inscription, "Spiritus, Anima, Corpus". The ensuing text seems to explain, poetically, what is going on here. From my layman's interpretation (willing to be corrected), I think it is telling us that Solomon received the Philospher's Stone from an angel from heaven... sent by the "Father, Son and the Holy Ghost" ("Fader and Sonne and Holi Gost"). I believe the Sulpher and Mercury are represented by the Sun and Moon in the illustration.

Perhaps someone can explain, in this scenario, what the substances spewing from the tubes would be? Are they the four elements, and æther, and ?? Or are they some other?

I do have to say I find the page, and this book as a whole, a possible content and stylistic influence on the art of the Voynich manuscript, and may list it as such.

Rich.
"Man is the measure of all things: What is, that it is; what is not, that it is not"- Protagoras