Codebreaking: A Practical Guide- Dunin/Schmeh

Books about or mentioning the Voynich Manuscript, or any related discipline.
Forum rules
Any ideas are welcome. Flaming, insults, threats and ridicule are not allowed. Please be civil.
proto57

Codebreaking: A Practical Guide- Dunin/Schmeh

Post by proto57 »

The new book, Codebreaking: A Practical Guide, has been released for pre-order on some Amazon sites. The German one is here:

https://www.amazon.de/Codebreaking-Cryp ... 147214421X

It is also apparently available for pre-order on the British Amazon. I don't see it on the USA Amazon yet, but I will pre-order it as soon as available.

There will be a section on the Voynich Manuscript, which makes sense as it is probably the most famous unsolved cipher/code/language, and also, because our friends Elonka and Klaus are two of the world's premiere Voynich experts.

What seems to set this book apart is that it does not only contain challenges for the reader, but also instructs them on how to solve, with paper and pencil, many classic ciphers. That is, it has method with it. I find myself at a loss with many classic ciphers, which are described in great detail in many books, and on the web... but then leaving me to determine the best attack for them. But that means re-inventing the wheel each time.

This book gives the methods, and so picks up where many other books leave off. From the Amazon Germany site:

"This practical guide to breaking codes and solving cryptograms by two world experts, Elonka Dunin and Klaus Schmeh, describes the most common encryption techniques along with methods to detect and break them. It fills a gap left by outdated or very basic-level books."

And, "The book's focus is very much on breaking pencil-and-paper, or manual, encryption methods. Its focus is also largely on historical encryption. Although manual encryption has lost much of its importance due to computer technology, many people are still interested in deciphering messages of this kind."

I look forward to my copy... to be released this November.

Rich.
"Man is the measure of all things: What is, that it is; what is not, that it is not"- Protagoras