Re: Sagittarius and crossbow

Rafal T. Prinke wrote:

> Ever since I saw the re-drawn VMS Sagittarius in d'Imperio,
> I kept wondering about the crossbow motif. [...]
> It may, however, be important to find (if possible) another
> example of Sagittarius with a crossbow. I must say that
> I have never seen anything like that. [...]
> As it seems to be so rare, finding a similar image
> might perhaps restrict the dating and/or area
> where VMS was created.

>From my limited experience it seems quite rare indeed.
I know one example, in an image I happen to have at my
web site. There are two crossbows in:
http://www.voynich.nu/leo.gif
These should be interpreted as two stars belonging to
the constellation of Sagittarius which either rise, set
or culminate while this degree of the sign of Leo rises
(the principle of 'paranatellonta').

The MS originates from king Alfonso X (unless I am much
mistaken), and it used to belong to Queen Christina of
Sweden. I wouldn't make too much of the latter...

There is 'something odd' with many of the zodiac
emblems, e.g. having two lobsters with a line connecting
their mouths, for Cancer.

Cheers, Rene