Richard Feynman

I always blew off the idea that perhaps the drawings had no relation to
the text, however at the bookstore tonight I saw something that changed
my mind.  I was looking at books about Richard Feynman and found out
that he played around as an artist as well as a physicist.  One
illustrations depicted a page from his notebook.  The page was filled
with equations from top to bottom, but it also had drawings as a
backdrop to the equations and in the margins.  The drawings were of the
human body as a whole as well as eyes and other parts, things that had
no relation to the equations, but the average viewer would never realize
that they were totally unrelated.  Is there any historical precedence to
this?  My feeling is that this sort of thing would only appear after the
widespread availability of cheap paper.  Thoughts?
Regards,
Brian