Re: Nymphs and 3-space...?

Hi Rene,

Well, the observation is correct, and I personally
think that these features are quite deliberate.
I also think, however, that assigning it to
Cartesian coordinates or a binary code is the
result of thinking like a 20th Century observer.

Projecting contemporary values and ideas onto the relatively blank canvas of the VMS is a crime of which we here are all guilty (to a lesser or greater degree) from time to time: but, for a change, I have a more subtle point to make. :-)

I mentioned Ambrogio Lorenzetti and the Sienese school of painters in a recent mail: AFAIK, their work contained the first well-known uses of perspective in art in Europe - and roughly 50-100 years before the VMS' date-band.

So my question is: when did people start to talk (and think) in terms of three dimensions? And, then, what was the development of the concept of 3-space, especially during 1400-1500? And in what terms were three dimensions described during that time?

It's entirely possible that the left-right/up-down/front-back dimensions we observe in the nymphs' poses might help us date (or place) the VMS, purely by reference to the historical development of 3-space as a socio-linguistic construction.

But all that's a thing I know next to nothing about. :-( Are there any historians of science here? :-)

And also: (IIRC) the realisation by historians that Francis Bacon described a binary code pushed the dating of the earliest use of binary backwards by a century (or was it two?) - but did he devise it entirely himself, or had he seen (or heard of) precedents for it?

Rather than arriving on a divine thunderbolt or a Philip K Dick-ish pink beam of light, most new ideas seem instead to emerge from a nebulous cloud of half- or quarter-ideas at those points in history where they're needed... so who knows? :-/

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....