[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

FW: What *is* that object those nymphs are holding?

-----Original Message-----
From: GC [mailto:glenclaston@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 3:47 PM
To: Nick Pelling
Subject: RE: What *is* that object those nymphs
are holding?


Do you mean the object that some say looks like a
*flute*?  One of the instruments of physicke
associated with bathing is a bladder for inserting
herbal washes and medicines into the "matrix".
This tool was called a "syringe".  I've been
searching for a picture of this instrument, but
all I've found to date is the description.  There
is a second type that looks something like a
child's wooden top that was used for inserting
suppositories into the "foundament" (you guessed
it).  Until I find a picture of the "syringe"
bladder, I can't be certain, but it's a good


-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Pelling
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 10:48 AM
To: voynich@xxxxxxxx
Subject: What *is* that object those nymphs are

Hi everyone,

Looking closely at the pictures in the
balnaeological section, I noticed
that many of them appear to be holding (pretty
much) the same curious object:-

f79v	top left nymph
	second nymph down
f80r	second nymph on top row
	(what the bottom left nymph is holding is another
matter entirely!!)
f80v	top left nymph (long version?)
	second nymph down

I don't know what it is, I just thought I'd flag
it as an item of interest. :-)

Cheers, .....Nick Pelling.....