VMs: VMS numbering systems hypotheses...

Hi everyone,

As promised, please find attached a short Word document containing my current hypotheses of how the VMS' primary numbering systems work.

I think that the main system can count up to 98 (or possibly a little higher), and is based around combinations of the gallows characters, the picnic tables, and the "e" character. In itself, it's not a new or novel system - rather, it's Roman numerals (but hidden in plain sight).

I've tried to explain my assumptions, observations, and inferences quite clearly in the document, but as this is still only really a very first draft, any suggestions for improvements will be very warmly received! :-) Like most software guys, I very rarely get things *exactly* right first time. :-/

Please can I ask some of you to try this out yourselves, to see if it helps reveal any further structures or patterns in the text to you?

And even if this does all turn out to be true, I strongly suspect that this may only mark the beginning of our road to unravelling the VMS' secrets: for example,
(1) I don't believe that every instance of a gallows character indicates a number
(2) The first few characters on each page (& under some long gallows) still look anomalous
...and so on.

Fingers crossed! :-)

Thanks & best regards, .....Nick Pelling.....