VMs: Re: Embeddable VMS fonts testing

Hi all,
A few things...

On Thursday 27 June 2002 7:31 am, GC wrote:
> page working at http://www.baconbooks.net/Voynich/meva.htm.  If
> anyone gets a chance, please test this page and see if you see a
> few Voynich characters.

Under linux, neither KDE Konkeror, nor Mozilla can display that page in the
intended fonts.

> should have most of the character possibilities covered, and only
> the characters you use on that page are embedded, saving web space
> and download times.

I don't think so. Each time one looks at a page with embedded fonts one is
downloading the fonts too, or am I wrong? Every page will have a copy of the
fonts?

> And of course, most people won't download a
> font just to view your page, so this guarantees that your meaning
> will get across even to those who won't take the time to download
> a special font.

Still, this is the standard way of making sure the fonts will be working with
the rest of the programs, and one needs them as well if is intending to
create a document.
With the eva font installed in linux, this is not a problem. Funnily KDE's
Konqueror displays the eva font correct, but Mozilla 0.9.8 does not seem to
be able to display other than the default fonts it supports. There may be
some setting that I have been able to find (and yes, I know that there is a
more updated version of mozilla).

BTW, I noticed that some people use the term "picnic table" for different
things. Just to make things clear, I think that the term has been used
earlier in this list to name eva <x>, which looks like a capital T with two
legs instead of 1 (like an inverted v with a T on top).
It would be confusing if we use the same name to design differnt letters.

Regarding the embedding of fonts, this happens because the fonts are
copyrighted. This is one of the few mechanism we have to avoid changes to the
fonts and the eva alphabet becoming a mess with n different versions.
Everybody is welcome to use them freely as stated in the txt file included in
the font package, but they should not be changed or considered public domain.
I hope that this is not too much to ask.

Cheers,

Gabriel