f86v3, was Re: VMs: Finding_02

--- Philip Neal <philipneal_vms@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I find f 86v3 of interest because of the arrangement
> of the text on the page.
> The page is of normal proportions, (i.e. taller than
> it is wide), and has four blocks
> of writing around the edge so that you have to
> rotate the page to read it -
> like the writing on a Monopoly board.
>
> The four blocks of writing contain about the same
> number of words, but the north and south blocks
> consist of eight short lines the same width as
> the page and the east and west blocks consist of
> six long lines the same length as the page.
> I would speculate that the page was copied from an
> original page which had square proportions.

I fully agree, and remember thinking the same when
I transcribed the page.
Note, however, that the 'original' may also have
been the VMS author's draft text rather than
another source MS.

If I remember correctly, the characters Eva-f and
Eva-p, which only occur in first lines of paragraphs,
also occur here in that way only, which would
indicate that they are ornamental, for the
VMs fair copy exclusively.

Cheers, Rene