RE: VMs: A & B Tokens and Titles....

I would argue that 85r1 actually is the first page of the large quire, but
86v4 and 86v5 both also have titles. There's also one on 94r (which is
another B), and
the really long one on 101.

It's disputable whether the title on 85r1 is at the beginning of the quire
because
it is one large fold-out that makes the entire quire - one side of which is
the map.

-- I'm curious though if it would be normal to expect that a single sheet of
vellum
that contains a 'contents' page like f1r would also have a few more titles
on its
second half that are in fact part of the same 'contents' page. What I mean
is 'Was the
author writing on an already bound quire - or on a single sheet of vellum
that he
wrapped the quire in?'

Is f1r and f8r actually the first page and together make up the 'contents'.
Although
the second quire behaves in a similar fashion with f9r and f16r both
containing one title.
These are the only two quires that follow separate sheet of vellum pattern
for titling.

John.