Here is a conversation between myself and Jon Grove. I sent him a snippet of a 1550 manuscript I found in text form via Gabrielle Ferri. All accented characters have been converted to the latin alphabet for simplicity. Read the bottom message first.
The significant thing here is that analysis of the text shows marked differences in the structure between Jon's method and the VMS. I will be working on some information in table form that may be able to bring the statistics more into line with those of the VMS. I will send these tables to Jon whenever I have them finished.
I am making very good progress using my methods and hope to have something that will create very VMS like output within the next couple of months. Whether this will advance the state of the game or not remains to be seen.
----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Grove
Sent: 06 November 2003 09:03
Subject: RE: A test
FWIW, here's the output of my program:
dalkeeol skedy shaiin oain skchedar shdy qodar lchealy ychy
qolcheody otcham oshed
qchey olteaiin shdy l qotchal qosheol l lkaiin rcheeaiin lsheain
lkaiin dchedy r
kchar sheeam qodaiir olkchedy shdar qochol dteam ysheeol okor
qochod oodar lched
I don't think it's particularly significant, though, since virtually any text passed into the program will produce stuff that looks like Voynichese. That's because the 'translation tables' are based on the observed 'word' structure of VMS, so it's virtually impossible for the program to produce stuff that doesn't look VMS-like!
> -----Original Message-----